Adobe Photoshop is graphical software that is used for making incredible art pieces with the use of images and drawing techniques. It provides digital images as an output as we can transform images into anything we wish to. There are multiple filters available in Adobe Photoshop that are used to edit and apply effects on selected images. The procedure for applying filters is as follows:
1. Import an image (.jpg, .bmp, .tiff or any other format) using “Open” button from “File” menu.
2. Adjust the image size, canvas size and the resolution of the image as per the requirement of design. The canvas and image size can be fixed in cm, mm, inches, points, percent, picas and columns. The resolution is set according to pixels/inch or pixels/cm.3. Go to Filter Menu, there will be multiple categories of filters available. These categories include: Artistic, Blur, Brush Strokes, Distort, Noise, pixelate, Render, Sharpen, Sketch, Stylize, and Texture. 4. Move the cursor on any category of filter, you will see sub-categories.
5. The artistic filter is used to produce an art piece with a creative and imaginative presentation. It transforms the image into a creative visual as it seems to be produced by an artist. It covers all the tools of a painting like brush, pencil, paints and water colors. Select the artistic filter and apply the options that are available as its sub-categories like Colored Pencil, Dry Brush, and Fresco etc.6. Blur filter helps in making the selected portion unclear and indistinct. It is used when depth of field is applied to the image and viewpoint is to be shown. There are multiple sub-categories under this category that vary in intensity, angle and with which amount the image is to be blurred.
7. The filter of Brush Strokes contains different types of strokes that make an image a painting. The strokes include the intensity of applying a brush or pen on the canvas. The different types of strokes it provides include Accented edges, Angled Strokes, Crosshatch, Dark strokes, Ink outlines, Spatter, Sprayed strokes and Sumi-e. These filters with change the image into the painting with prominent strokes of multiple forms.8. The Distort filter, as the name represents, is used for twisting the selected image and eliminating the highlighted portions. The filter may distort the image in three forms i-e Diffuse glow, glassy effect and in the form of ocean ripple. Using this filter, the image can be changed by producing waves, zigzag effect, sphering and ripples.
9. Applying Noise filter, the image losses its clarity and the pixels get abrupt with color variation. This type of effect is needed when emphasis has to be shifted to the important element of the picture. The same effect is produced by Dusk and scratches.
10. Pixelate filter is used to make the image hidden. This effect produces an image with large pixels that make the image vague and veiled. The types of pixilation include the forms of Mosaic, Crystals, Fragments, and the form of colored points.
11. Render filter is used to make color variation with its vibrant effects. It helps in changing the colors in different parts of the image. This is possible by changing the lighting of the image, applying lens effect, or by applying smoky colors.12. Sharpen filter is used to make the image clearer, sharp and visible. It formulates the pixels to retain their quality presentation.
13. Sketch filter is used to produce the sketch of the selected image. This is a sort of a drawing or the basic draught. The type of sketches include Charcoal, Chalk, Crayon, Graphic pen, Note paper, Photocopy, Stamp, Plaster, Torn edges and Water paper. 14. Stylize is used to add ingenious effects including the effect of wind, emboss, glowing edges, making tiles as well as tracing contour.
Hence, All the filters are used for creatively enhancing the images.