Hulu, one of the most popular streaming services, does not provide official data usage values. However, a rough idea can be obtained keeping in view its recommended internet speeds. Here’s all you need to know about Hulu data usage and how to control it.
Hulu Internet Speed Requirements
Here’s an approximate idea of how much data various contents require on Hulu.
- For most of its library, including HD content: Hulu suggests a connection of a minimum of 3 Mbps per second.
- Live streaming: When you are live streaming Hulu content on the Live TV section, a minimum of 8Mbps data is required for smooth streaming.
- For 4K content: Hulu recommends an internet speed of at least 16 Mbps for streaming any of the service’s 4K content.
- For low-quality content: Hulu also provides a lower-quality option that requires a minimal amount of 1.5 Mbps.
Note: Remember that Hulu data usage might require more internet speed if there is more than one device streaming Hulu video, or if devices are video conferencing and gaming
How much data does Hulu use per hour?
- For most of its library, including HD content, hourly data usage is 1.35GB.
- If you are streaming live content on Hulu Live Plus TV, the data used per hour is approximately 3.5GB.
- For high-quality 4K content, data usage may reach up to 7GB per hour.
- For low quality, the amount of data used may fall to 0.65GB per hour.
How to Control How Much Data Hulu Uses on the Web
Hulu users can change some settings to minimize the data usage while watching Hulu.
- Log in to your Hulu application.
- Start playing a video.
- Hit the Settings icon in the lower-left corner of the screen.
4. Click on the Quality icon.
5. Tap Data Saver.
6. Hulu will switch to a lower-data version of the stream.
How to Control How Much Data Hulu Uses on Mobile
Here’s how you can save data on your mobile device or tablet.
- Lon in the Hulu app.
- Click on Account at the bottom of the screen.
3. Hit the Settings icon.
4. Tap Cellular Data Usage.
5. Click on Data Saver.
6. Now, Hulu will use fewer data to stream video.
Note: These settings will only reduce the data usage when you’re watching Hulu using a cellular network. They won’t affect devices connected to a Wi-Fi network.
How to Control How Much Data Hulu Uses for Downloads
If you download videos from Hulu to watch later, you can also control your data usage with Hulu by controlling the quality of the files you put on your device. Let’s see how you can do this.
- Sign in to your Hulu app.
- Hit the Account icon at the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Click on Downloads.
5. Turn off Cellular Downloadingto to prevent your device from using its cellular network to download programs.
6.Hit the Video Quality icon.
7. You have two options on this screen: Standard and High. Select Standard download smaller, lower-quality files to your device. This setting will also save storage on your device.