Discord, with over 250 million users worldwide, is an instant messaging and group chatting app. Discord allows its users to communicate with video calls, voice calls, text messaging, media, and files in private chats. Discord could be the perfect way to stay in touch with other PS5 players across in multiple games.
Normally It is available as both an application and an in-browser. At the start, Discord offered only gamer-focused services, but in recent years, it has proven useful for the general PC users as well especially during pendemic.
The use of the chat service is the most important feature for sharing a gaming experience with other players. PlayStation itself provides its chat service but Discord has become the most popular voice chat client for gamers to communicate with each other.
SEE ALSO: How to Quote Someone on Discord
How to Download and Use Discord in PS5
Fans of Discord might be disappointed! Unfortunately, Discord is not functional on PS5 yet. There is a huge demand form play station 5 players to get discord on their newest PS5s. But, for the time being its unlikely to happen.
However its available for Playstation 4 Users and here’s how they can download and install it:
Note: I’ve not testing this method personally on PS5 because its short and I couldn’t get my hands on to it. However it is a tested method on PS4 and Hope you’ll love it.
Prerequisits for Setting Up Discord:
- Headlike that has an optical cable and supports USB connection.
- A Mixamp or device for switching audio between your PS5 and Dekstop.
- Cables – 3.5mm Male to Male
- 3.5mm Aux Splitter
- 3.5mm to 3.5mm with Volume
Download or Get Discord on PS5:
- Open your Discord Account on any device (PC or Mobile).
- Open the Browser from your PS5.
- Search for Discord in the web browser and Signin to your Account.
How to Use Discord on PS5:
- Connect optical cables between your mixamp Pro TR and with PS5 for switching audio.
- Navigate to PlayStation 5 Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings and change the Primary Output Port to Digital Output (Optical).
- Now Plug in one end of USB cable into your base station and use the other end to connect to the PC. You just have to make sure that your base station is in PC mode otherwise it will not work.
- Its time to Open Discord on your PC and change the input device in voice settings to your mixamp.
- Now you should use 3.5mm audio jack and run it from your PC speaker.
- Go to your voice settings in Discord and modify the output device to your PC speakers.
Let me know your thoughts in comments and if this method has worked for you.
For many years, console users were unable to use the Discord application as it does not support Nintendo or PlayStation consoles. During the PS4’s run, people were able to use the texting feature of Discord through the console’s web browser. However, PS5 is not capable of running the application. There is no official app for PS5 and also, it is not supported for a web browser version of Discord.
Even the Xbox Series has limited support for Discord. The in-browser version only supports the text services and not the voice chat for the Xbox series.
Due to the increasing demand of this app and its popularity, it might be possible in the near future that PlayStation may add support for Discord. If this happens, we will update this article with the information regarding accessing the Discord app.