All of the emails in your Google Mail or Gmail account are available for download via IMAP and POP. Now Gmail provides functionality to export and backup your Gmail data without the need to turn the third party software and have any hustle. You can get your Gmail data as Mbox files. The procedure is pretty simple and straightforward all you need to do is go to Google’s Data download page and sign into your Gmail account then look for new Gmail entries after clicking “Create an archive,” and it will help you export your Gmail emails as mbox files.
Once the process of creating the archive is complete, you will have to wait for few minutes to several hours depending on your data size. Most of the peoples get the download link same day they request to download their data.
Email storage format used for organizing email messages in a single text file; save these messages in concentrated formate through which each message is stored after another, starting with “From” header. This format was earlier use in Unix hosts, and now it is supported by other email applications including Outlook and Apple Mail etc.
How to Export Your Emails from Gmail As Mbox Files
To export your emails from Gmail as mbox files, or download a copy of your messages on Gmail account all you need to do is follow these 7 simple steps. Upon completion of the process, you will get the download link to download your Gmail email in mbox format (zip compressed)
- If you only want to download select message(s), start in your Google Mail by applying a label, for example, “messages to download,” to only the message(s) you want to download
- Go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout
- Click “Select None“
- Scroll down to “Mail,” click on the gray X to the right
- If you want to download only certain messages, click “All Mail“
- Check “Select Labels“
- Check the labels that tag the emails you want to download
- Click “Next“
- Do not change the file type, click “Create Archive.“
- You will get the download link of zip file via your selected delivery method (by default, you will get an email with a link to download the zip). it may not be instant, the more emails you are downloading, the longer it will take to create your archive
That’s it, and you should be done with exporting Your Emails from Gmail as Mbox files. If you face any issue during the process, do let me know in the comment section below.