Samsung released its flagship model Galaxy S6 Edge with android’s lollipop pre-installed in it. Since a newer version for the OS is available, S6 edge can officially be updated to android 5.1.1. The update is rolled out via OTA policy and some devices have already received the notification for the update but it’s a process and it is bound to work gradually. So if you haven’t been able to install the latest update through official means then there is a solution for it which can let you forcefully install the latest update on your edge.
This custom update is for selected models only and you must check online before you update. Making a backup of all of your data is highly recommended along with charging the phone’s battery more than 80% to avoid any unwanted problems. Also please remember that installing a custom ROM can take away any warranty that you might have on your device.
The new firmware update has the version number G925FXXU2COH2 and it adds all important Microsoft apps such Word, Excel, PowerPoint and others more. Before starting the installation process you should read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the International version of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone.
– your phone’s model number should be SM – G925F.
– check the version of your device under Settings> About Phone menu.
- don’t attempt to update any other different Samsung devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download Samsung USB Drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– without these drivers your device might not be detected by the computer.
- for the installation process you will have to use the Odin app.
– for Odin3 v3.10.6 to work you will need to disable Samsung KIES from running.
– also, any antivirus app should also be blocked from running while Odin is opened.
– these apps are going to stop Odin from flashing the new firmware on your phone.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
– if you can’t find Developer Options, then you should enable it:
go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
return to Settings, scroll down and there you should find the Developer Options.
– open Developer Options, scroll through the menu and tick the USB Debugging check box.
- if your phone is rooted, then you need to know that the updating process if going to remove root access.
– any custom Recovery that might be flashed on your Galaxy S6 Edge is going to be replaced with the Stock Android Recovery Mode.
- you can flash the new official Android 5.1.1 Update over a custom ROM too, but you will need to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ process after the installation is done.
– the ‘factory reset’ removes the old custom ROM and it wipes clean the system partition.
– if you factory reset the device no data will be lost from internal storage, which means that your photos, docs, downloads, videos, music and other files will be safe from removal.
- in case your smartphone sports a 100% stock Android firmware, then you should continue straight to the next part of this post.
– no data will be lost from your smartphone in case your device sports a stock firmware.
- this is a tutorial that has to be used by advanced users only.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick your smartphone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- read the whole post and make sure not to skip any steps.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the device from powering off during installation.
As you know everything mentioned above, you can move to next heading.
How to flash Android 5.1.1 G925FXXU2COH2 Lollipop Update for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge G925:
- Download the G925FXXU2COH2 Android 5.1.1 firmware archive from here.
- Extract the files from the archive and save them on your computer.
– you will obtain the G925FXXU2COH2 tar.md5 file.
– do not extract the contents of the tar.md5 file.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 from here.
– extract the Odin zip contents on your PC.
- Power off your device.
- Now you can boot the Galaxy S6 Edge in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to computer via usb cable.
– now, wait for the device to be detected by your PC.
– if the phone is not recognized you should reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Next, go back to Odin’s main screen and make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is disabled.
– don’t change any other default Odin settings.
- Start the Android 5.1.1 installation process by clicking on the AP button.
– you will be asked to find the firmware file.
- Locate the G925FXXU2COH2 Android 5.1.1 firmware tar.md5 file and load it in Odin.
- Confirm the installation process and then wait until all the new files are flashed.
- The Galaxy S6 Edge will reboot in normal mode after all the file is successfully installed.
– note that the first boot process is going to take a while before it loads all the features and apps.
- Use your login data in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
If fail or error message displayed during the process repeat the whole process and make sure you didn’t skip any step.
Here’s how to factory reset Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge:
- power off the phone.
- Press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home button on your Galaxy S6 Edge (press the keys simultaneously).
- Release the buttons when the recovery mode menu will be displayed on your device.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option
Galaxy S6 Edge Lollipop Review:
If you want to know more or add new related to Install Lollipop in Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge in this post comment below.