MacOS Sierra is apple’s ultra-modern desktop running machine, which succeeds os x el Capitan and adopts a brand new name to convey it in line with ios, watchos, and tvos. The os will come pre-established on all new macs as soon as cutting-edge inventory is depleted and is an unfastened download for current Mac owners.
The main new function in MacOS sierra is deep Siri integration, bringing Apple’s personal assistant to the mac for the first time. It also adds new capabilities to photographs and messages, and includes continuity starts like an ordinary clipboard and an automobile liberates alternative for Apple watch proprietors.
This educational explains a way to download mac os sierra and perform a clean installation, which offers numerous blessings over the automated improve technique covered in the installation package deal.
Benefits of a Clean Installing macOS Sierra
A smooth deploy can do away with annoying quirks and strange behaviors that your mac may additionally have inherited over time due to motive force enhancements, wonky apps, and messy installation tactics. Performing a clean installation also can reclaim misplaced disk area as a result of junk documents left by way of 0.33-party apps, and might commonly make your mac sense plenty snappier, enabling you to relive that feeling of booting it up for the primary time.
To complete the clean install procedure described below, you’ll need an 8GB or larger USB thumb drive and an hour or two to spare.
You should also perform a full backup of your Mac beforehand using Time Machine. That way you can restore your system from the Recovery partition if something goes wrong. Alternatively, save a bootable mirror image of your system to an external drive using a clone utility like SuperDuper!
Compatibility Check for macOS Sierra
Before you do anything, check that your Mac is compatible with Apple’s new operating system. macOS Sierra supports the following:
- iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Air (2010 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- Mac mini (2010 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (2010 or newer).
Any other way of checking if your mac is well matched is to open the apple menu inside the higher left nook of your Mac’s display and selecting about this mac. Look just below the os x model number within the assessment tab – if the mac model name is the equal or a later version year than the one shown in the compatibility listing above, your mac is well suited with Sierra.
Pre-Install Notes: macOS Sierra
If you need total manage of what facts gets transferred to the new os, you can stay away from the migration assistant and manually copy any critical files and folders in your current system to an external drive as an alternative. It is also worth taking a screenshot of your desktop, to serve as a file of ways you like matters installation.
A few customers can also locate it useful to make a word of the contents of their applications folder for later reference. A screenshot may suffice (command-shift-4, the area to capture the finder window), but if no longer, the subsequent steps describe a simple manner to create a list of apps.
- Open the Applications folder and press Command+A to select all apps in the Finder window, then press Command+C.
- Now open up TextEdit, create a new document, select Format -> Make Plain Text from the menu bar, and press Command+V to paste a list of app names into the document.
- If necessary, add details of download locations for any non-Mac App Store apps you use, append any serial numbers you might need, and save the text document to an external drive.
Make certain to permit any cloud services you operate to finish synchronization earlier than continuing. It’s also worth display screen-grabbing or noting down any custom options, settings, wireless passwords, and app-particular profiles you use.
Lastly, de-authorize any services for your mac, including your iTunes account (iTunes menu >, save > deauthorize this laptop), considering the fact that these are generally constrained to a set variety of systems.
Create a Bootable Installer for macOS Sierra
Download the macOS Sierra installation package from the Mac App Store. Once it has downloaded, follow these steps to create a USB bootable installer.
- Open Disk Utility (found in the Applications/ Utility folder), select the thumb drive in the sidebar and click the “Erase” button.
- Name the USB drive “Untitled” if it isn’t already, choose the Format “OS X Extended (Journaled)“, and click “Erase“. Once your thumb drive is formatted and the macOS installation package has finished downloading, open up Terminal (found in Applications/Utilities).
- Now, ensure the USB drive is the only disk named “Untitled” connected to your Mac, and then paste the following command into the Terminal window, and press Enter:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --application path /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --interaction
- You should be prompted for your administrator password. Enter it, and the command will create a bootable Sierra installer on the USB drive. The process will take a few minutes to complete, so leave it running.
Restart and Install
Once the USB installer has been created, restart your Mac and hold down the Option key as soon as you hear the reboot tone. Then follow these steps:
- Use the mouse pointer or the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the disk called “Install macOS Sierra” in the drive list that appears on the screen.
- Once the USB drive has booted, select “Disk Utility” from the Utility window, choose your Mac’s startup drive from the list, and click “Erase“.
- When your Mac’s startup disk is formatted, return to the Utility window and select “Install macOS“, choose your freshly erased startup drive when asked where to install the OS, and follow the onscreen prompts to complete the installation.
Once the easy set up of Mac OS Sierra is up and strolling for your mac, you could either restore your records from a time system backup using migration assistant (discovered in packages/utilities), or start restoring your apps, files, and settings manually to get your mac installation simply the way you want it.
That’s all folks.