Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has given permission to Telecom operators for establishment and installation of outdoor Point to Point Wireless link(s), mainly the cellular companies and Local Loop (fixed and wireless telephone operators) and Data-CVAS License holders), will operate in agreement with Industrial Scientific and Medical (ISM) band.
This move will help in the promotion of the advance application of services provided by telecom operators on their networks in order to connect and operate different devices, equipment, and appliances for commercial and non-commercial use on ISM bands.
Two locations will be connected by Point to Point wireless links through Line Of Sight (LOS) operation on the industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) radio bands, internationally reserved for the use of Radiofrequency (RF) energy for energy for industrial, scientific and medical purposes except for telecommunications.
There is a worldwide increase in the use of the ISM bands especially for short-range and low power communications systems. The system includes Cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, Near Field communication (NFC) devices, wireless garage door openers, wireless microphones, vehicle tracking and amateur radio and wireless computer networks.
Terms and conditions for Setting up ISM Band communication.
- Preceding to the initiation of the services, PTA will register these outdoor Point to Point Links with Frequency Allocation Board (FAB).
- An outdoor Point to Point Link will be installed with prior approval of concerned Municipal Authorities and/or owner of the property/building.
- Operators will apply for registration of all those Links established prior to issuance of this SOP within three (3) months of the issuance of this SOP.
- According to PTA, the already established links will remain operational
during this period.
- Operators will close / dismantle any of its already established links, if not approved by FAB.
- After expiry of six (6) months, any unregistered Point to Point Link will be considered illegal.
- PTA/FAB will then carry out inspection/survey to find any unregistered Point to Point Link(s) in ISM band and initiate appropriate actions and/or legal proceedings against unregistered Links users.
On violation of the Rules, Regulations, SOPs, or PTA’s directives and/or the policy directives of the Government of Pakistan, for security concerns closure of the links will be ordered permanently or temporarily by PTA.
For initiation of the services on ISM bands, click here to read more.