Discord auto-start feature aims at saving a few clicks of the good boys on a traditional system reboot. But we’re not that type, and we’re going to get rid of it. Let’s find out how to stop Discord from opening on startup.
Fed up of the infuriating Discord app that starts sticking to you the moment you set foot on your charming PC !!! You have been cursing them for a long time. Haven’t you? That’s why you made your way here—no need of uninstalling Discord because TechWafer has just the right solution to elevate you from your miseries.
Strictly speaking, this article may not seem quite a blessing for those few running 3090 on an AMD Thread ripper. But for most of us struggling to survive with mid-range PC’s in this ever-advancing domain, it’s quite valuable as it may halt Discord from eating up all our PC’s resources and slowing it down.
To kneel the auto-start feature to its knees, give each solution a try.
HOW TO MAKE DISCORD NOT OPEN ON START-UP
1. TURNING OFF FROM OS SETTINGS
The simplest way is to turn off it from within the Discord app, but the most efficient one would be disabling it first through OS and then going for Discord app settings.
A. HOW TO STOP DISCORD FROM OPENING ON STARTUP IN WINDOWS 10
From Task Manager
- Right-click on the windows icon in the taskbar and click on Task Manager or by merely pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Hover to Start-up
- After locating Discord, please select it and hit Disable button
From system settings
- Click on the Windows icon on the taskbar.
2. Choose the settings icon from the appearing list, located just above the shutdown icon.
3. Go to the Apps section and then open the start-up tab from there.
4. Locate your Discord app and turn the slider to OFF. This stops Discord from opening automatically on startup in Windows.
B. HOW TO PREVENT DISCORD FROM AUTO-START IN MAC
- Open MAC settings.
- Click on Users and Groups.
3. Go for the current user.
4. Hover to the Login tab.
5. Select Discord and click on the minus button.
DISABLE OPEN DISCORD WITHIN DISCORD SETTINGS TO STOP DISCORD FROM OPENING ON STARTUP
Open Discord feature is enabled by default but can be disabled the following way:
- Launch Discord.
- Hit the settings icon on the bottom left of the Discord home screen.
3. Scroll down to OS settings (windows).
4. Disable Open Discord Feature to completely halt it from opening on start-ups.
That will do the trick for sure!! And gift you the relief of Discord not opening on start-up!!
CAN’T LOCATE DISCORD WITHIN TASK MANAGER OR APP SETTINGS
It proves that developers did s#*@1 coding!!!
- First, enable the Open Discord feature in Discord and close it
- Now, Discord should appear right in Task manager or App settings
- Disable it first through here and then disable the Open Discord feature in-app.
HOW TO CHECK IF DISCORD IS RUNNING IN BACKGROUND
I bet it is the only way of knowing if you have successfully removed the Discord Auto-start feature or not.
If the app is running in the background, it should appear in the taskbar as a visible icon or in the tray that appears after clicking on the arrow icon in the taskbar.
2. In the Processes tab of the task manager you can see if Discord is running or not.
DISCORD STILL OPENING ON STARTUP!!! NO LUCK !!!
If the curse invoked upon your system by Developers has not yet lifted, pray to God to gift you with the patience of sparing a few clicks after every start-up.
- Exit app from taskbar tray icon and
- Kill all processes related to Discord in task Manager
Hoping that Discord will not be torturing you any further!