Steam is a hugely popular platform for buying and playing video games. However, some users have reported missing game icons on Steam for games like Fall Guys. Thankfully, there are a few ways to fix this issue. This article will show you how to fix the Steam Shortcut Missing.
The design of these Steam Icons has changed over time as Valve has updated the Steam client. The first game icons were simple rectangles with the game’s title in a bold font. In 2010, Valve released a new version of the Steam client that featured round game icons with a smaller title font. Many users didn’t like this new design, so in 2012, Valve returned to the old square icons. In 2016, Valve released another new version of the Steam client with updated icons.
You can store a massive collection of games without overloading your PC’s memory. Plus, the platform allows gaming from any computer with a Steam engine installed. The app provides access to the games and forum library.
Fixing Steam Game Icons Missing or Steam Shortcut Icons Missing
If you’re one of the unlucky gamers struggling to get Steam shortcut icons to work, for example, don’t worry; you’re not alone. The good news is that there are three ways to try to fix it.
Way 1: Fixing through Steam App
- Launch the Steam app.
- Move to the Library tab.
- Find the game you want from the available list of games.
- Right-click on it and open Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab in the new window that opens up.
- Hit Browse Local Files. It opens a File Explorer showing the folder with game files in it.
- Look for the .exe game file.
- Right-click on its icon and choose Copy.
- Right-click on your desktop screen and hit Paste Shortcut.
- A shortcut icon will appear on your desktop.
SEE ALSO: How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error
Way 2: Through Games Directory
Try the instructions below to resolve the missing Icons issue if your Steam games are installed on a different HDD.
Setup Games Directory
You have to set up your game directory before attempting to resolve the problem with the icons. To achieve your goal, just follow these steps.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Go to Settings > Library Folders.
- Click on Add Library Folder and mention the proper path where your games are located on HDD. For example: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common.
- Once you have added your new directory, right-click on it and choose ‘Make Default Folder.’
SEE ALSO: How to Fix Steam Content File Locked in Easy Steps
Fix the Icons
Steam detects all games in your game’s directory. After that, you copy the game folder you want to fix the icon. Follow these steps.
- Please right-click on the game in your library and open its Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab.
- Hit Browse Local Files.
- Copy and paste the game file on your desktop.
- Right-click on the same game in your library and choose to Delete Local Content.
- Then copy the game back into the Steam library.
- Click on Install via Steam Library. Now it will rediscover your game files.
- Create a game shortcut on your desktop (if it is not present already).
- Open C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games, and you will see the game icons downloaded by Steam.
- Open the Properties of the shortcut icon.
- Choose the Change Icon option and locate the icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games.
- Hit “Apply,” and you are done!
SEE ALSO: How to Access Steam Screenshot Folder
Way 3: Clearing IconCache.DB
If the issue persists, check if Windows is causing the icons to disappear, not only for Steam. Go to your app data and try clearing IconCache.DB.
We have looked at three potential solutions for the Steam Desktop Icon Missing error. Hopefully, one of these solutions will successfully fix the issue for you. If not, be sure to comment below, as this problem can be pretty frustrating. Thanks for reading!