I’ve recently sorted out how to fix the Steam game icons missing issue as there are almost no tutorials for that over the internet. And I’m going to share it here so you can also get rid of the annoyance it causes. Read on to find out how it’s done.
Steam, the unrivaled gaming destination, lets you play, discuss and create exciting PC games. The cloud-based gaming library hosts thousands of games from renowned gaming developers and their indie game developers’ mods.
You can store a huge collection of games without overloading your PC’s memory. Plus, the platform allows gaming from any computer that has a Steam engine installed in it. The app provides access to the games and forums library.
Fix Steam Game Icons Missing
Scroll on and try the three different ways to solve the ‘Steam game shortcuts no icon’ issue. Best of luck!
Way 1: Fixing through Steam App
- Launch the Steam app.
- Move to the Library tab.
- Find the game you want from the available list of games.
- Right-click on it and open Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab in the new window that opens up.
- Hit Browse Local Files. It opens a File Explorer showing the folder with game files in it.
- Look for the .exe game file.
- Right-click on its icon and choose Copy.
- Right-click on your desktop screen and hit Paste Shortcut.
- A shortcut icon will appear on your desktop.
SEE ALSO: How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error
Way 2: Through Games Directory
If you have Steam games installed on a different HDD, try the following steps.
Setup Games Directory
Before fixing the icons problem, you need to set up your game directory. Follow these steps to do so.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Go to Settings > Library Folders.
- Click on Add Library Folder and mention the proper path where your games are located on HDD. For example: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common.
- Once you have added your new directory, right-click on it and choose ‘Make Default Folder.’
SEE ALSO: How to Fix Steam Content File Locked
Fix the Icons
Steam detects all games in your game’s directory. After that, you copy the game folder for which you want to fix the icon. Follow these steps.
- Please right-click on the game in your library and open its Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab.
- Hit Browse Local Files.
- Copy and paste the game file on your desktop.
- Right-click on the same game in your library and choose to Delete Local Content.
- Copy the game back into the Steam library.
- Click on Install via Steam Library. Now it will rediscover your game files.
- Create a game shortcut on your desktop (if it is not present already).
- Open C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games, and you will see the game icons downloaded by Steam.
- Open Properties of the shortcut icon.
- Choose the Change Icon option and locate the icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games.
- Hit Apply, and you are done!
SEE ALSO: How to Access Steam Screenshot Folder
Way 3: Clearing IconCache.DB
If the issue persists, check if it is the Windows that is causing the icons to disappear, not only for Steam. Go to your app data and try clearing IconCache.DB.
I hope that it solves the Steam shortcuts no icon problem.